3 Healthy Snacks
Have you ever gone so long without eating that you overate at your next meal? It’s true that extreme hunger can lead to extreme overeating! Snacks are a great way to help balance energy and blood sugar levels between meals in addition to help you eat well all day long!
Today’s new blog and recipe video includes 3 simple and healthy snack ideas. Each recipe is gluten-free, dairy-free and features Sunsweet Amaz!n Prunes! Prunes are a favorite in our house! They are delicious to eat all on their own or a great way to add natural sweetness to recipes. Prunes also contain nutrients that are important for bone health, including vitamin K, which supports calcium balance within the body.
It may surprise you that research suggests eating 5-6 prunes each day may help to prevent bone loss. In addition to being a great snack to support bone health, prunes contain 3 grams of fiber per serving, which can help contribute to regular digestive health. Prunes are also lower in sugar compared to other dried fruits and have a glycemic index of 29. This means that prunes are digested slowly providing the body with a slow and steady source of energy!
Now let’s get started with our recipes!
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- ½ cup of uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup of almond butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ¼ cup of Sunsweet Amaz!n Prunes, diced
- ¼ cup of pumpkin seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. In a large bowl add oats, quinoa, chia seeds, sea salt, ginger powder, prunes, pumpkin seeds and vanilla extract. Next in a small pan over medium heat warm almond butter and maple syrup and stir until smooth, then pour into the bowl with the other ingredients. Fold in diced prunes and pumpkin seeds. Form batter into a square on the lined baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove and cut into squares or bars and enjoy! Keep stored in the fridge and enjoy within 7 days or freeze and enjoy within 2 months.
- 2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 3/4 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4cup hemp seeds
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup Sunsweet Amaz!n Prunes, diced
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large mixing bowl add all ingredients except the prunes and stir until well combined. To toast, add ingredients to a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent burning. Add muesli back into the mixing bowl and stir in prunes. Enjoy with milk or on top of your favorite yogurt! This muesli is best when stored in an air-tight container and enjoyed within 2 weeks.
- 2 cups natural creamy almond butter
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup Sunsweet Amaz!n Prunes, diced
- ¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Line a 24 mini muffin tray with muffin cups. In a saucepan over medium heat add almond butter and coconut oil and mix until smooth. Pour batter evenly into muffin cups and top with diced prunes and shredded coconut. Store in the fridge to set for 4 hours or the freezer for 2 hours. Keep these almond butter cups stored in the fridge for 1 week or freezer for 1 month, they are best enjoyed cold!
Disclosure: This blog post and video is sponsored by Sunsweet.