5 Foods For Fueling A Better Mood
Did you know that the foods we eat can have either a positive or negative affect on our mood? It’s true that certain foods can actually support hormone functions that may help our body with feeling happy, calm, sleep better and even help ease symptoms of anxiety and depression. Today I’m sharing 5 better mood foods and also a really simple recipe!
I’d like to thank Pompeian for sponsoring this video, their authentic offerings make all the difference in the taste and turnout of my simple, healthy recipes.
BETTER MOOD FOODS
Did you know that not all fats are created equal and some have more health benefits than others? One better mood food that may surprise you is olive oil! Extra Virgin Olive Oil contains beneficial antioxidants called polyphenols that have been shown to enhance key brain functions that nourish and protect your brain. These polyphenols, such as oleocanthal, are abundant in cold pressed EVOO, which is also rich in monounsaturated fats that can help fuel a more positive mood.
Pompeian’s Smooth EVOO has a mild flavor profile and is ideal for sautéing and stir-frying. As a farmer owned company, I like that Pompeian’s family of olive farmers and olive oil craftsmen carefully work to nurture the world’s best olives from their groves to our kitchen tables so that we can have nutrient-rich offerings that help us to Eat and Live Well every day.
Feel better with beans! Beans contain plant-based protein, fiber and are an excellent source of B vitamins. B vitamins can help increase levels of neurotransmitters that help regular mood such as serotonin, dopamine and norepinephrine.
Bananas contain vitamin B6, which helps synthesize feel-good neurotransmitters like dopamine and serotonin! Bananas also contain natural fruit sugars and fiber for a boost of energy.
4. DARK CHOCOLATE
Dark chocolate and cacao contains flavonoids which may improve mood, improve blood flow to the brain and also support heart health!
5. DARK LEAFY GREENS
Greens are rich in a variety of nutrients such as iron and B vitamins to boost brain function. They also contain fiber which help stabilize blood sugar levels to help avoid an energy or mood crash. Leafy greens also contain magnesium, which can help boost serotonin levels and have a positive impact on mood!
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons Pompeian Smooth Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons liquid aminos
- 2 tablespoons sriracha
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup honey
- OPTIONAL: 1 tablespoon cassava flour (for thickening)
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons Pompeian Smooth EVOO
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- ½ cup sliced onion
- 1 orange bell pepper, sliced
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 cup dry brown rice, cooked
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons green onion
- Cook the brown rice, according to package instructions.
- To make the Orange Ginger Sauce, add all the sauce ingredients, except the EVOO and honey, to a small saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat to low and stir in the EVOO, honey and chickpeas.
- At this point you can also add a thickening agent if you would like. I am using a tablespoon of cassava flour, but you can use whatever you have on hand, or none at all.
- Keep on low heat for 5-8 minutes stirring often.
- While the sauce thickens, warm 2 tablespoons of Smooth EVOO to a large sauté pan over medium heat, add the broccoli, onion, bell pepper and zucchini and sauté for 10 minutes until veggies are tender and lightly browned.
- Serve the sautéed vegetables over rice with the orange ginger chickpeas, garnished with sesame seeds and green onion. Enjoy!
Click here to learn more about Pompeian and their farmer-crafted offerings!
Disclosure: Thank you to Pompeian for sponsoring today’s video!