Apple Maple Sweet Potato Casserole
Sometimes the most simple things in life are the best. This couldn’t be more true for this dish I’m sharing with you today! I love sweet potatoes in all varieties. However, mashed sweet potatoes win (in my opinion) for the most cozy, comfort-food form of sweet spuds. With the Holiday season approaching we love making mashed sweet potatoes and this year I wanted to come up with a simple fun topping that the adults and kids enjoy!
This dish was gobbled up in our home! It is so good and truly so simple to make, I think you’re going to love it!
Beyond the fabulous sweet potatoes, the real star of this dish are these Apple Maple Veggie Sausages from Hilarys! These veggie sausages are made with lentils, apples, dates, maple syrup, millet, cinnamon, nutmeg and more! They are vegan, certified gluten-free and USDA Organic. Like all Hilary’s products there are also free from the top 12 common food allergens. I’ve been a fan of Hilary’s products from their veggie patties, medleys to veggie sausages for years! I typically shop for Hilary’s at Whole Foods and Sprouts Farmers Market but you can check out the store locator on their website to see where they are sold near you!
These Apple Maple Veggie Sausages are the perfect topping for our sweet potato casserole and here is the recipe!
- 4 large sweet potatoes (about 2lbs or 8 cups chopped)
- 1 cup full fat canned coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 package Hilary's Veggie Sausages
- 2 stalks green onion
- Scrub, rinse and cut away and bad spots on the sweet potatoes, optional you can peel them as well.
- Cook the sweet potatoes until very tender; you can roast them, boil them or my favorite steam them over boiling water.
- Preheat the oven to 375 Fahrenheit and slice the green onion, separating the white half from the green half. Thaw and chop/crumble the Hilary’s patties.
- Mash the potatoes; you can do this by hand or in a food processor. Drain the water if you boil them, then mash with the coconut milk, and spices.
- Add mash to a casserole dish and top with the crumbled Hilary’s patties and the white half of the green onion.
- Bake uncovered for 25 minutes, top with the remaining green onion and enjoy!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Hilarys