Avocado Chickpea Sandwich
Happy Thursday HGG Community!
A few weeks ago I shared how to make my Chickpea of the Sea Salad Sandwich recipe and it was such a hit! I loved seeing all of your sandwich pictures on Instagram and Facebook and some of you even gave this recipe a twist with your own variations that looked delicious! This is one of my absolute favorite sandwich recipes and I love that you love it too! I was then inspired to create another version of this recipe using simple, healthy ingredients.
In today’s cooking video and blog post I am sharing how to make an Avocado Chickpea Sandwich also known as a “Cranberry Walnut Chickpea Salad Sandwich”. Whatever you prefer to call it, it’s delicious!
This recipe uses avocado as a creamy “glue” if you will, to hold everything together. If you plan to make this recipe ahead of time, add in a little fresh lemon juice to keep your avocado from browning.
- 1 can (15-ounces) of unsalted garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups of chopped celery
- 2 cups of chopped walnut halves
- 1 cup of dried unsweetened cranberries
- 1 ripe medium avocado
- 2 tablespoon of mustard
- 2 slices of whole-wheat sprouted bread
- Add garbanzo beans and avocado into a bowl and mash together
- Next add in chopped celery, walnut halves and dried cranberries and fold all ingredients together
- Toast 2 slices of sprouted bread and add mustard onto each slice
- Place avocado chickpea salads on toasted bread, top with the other slice of bread and… you have a sandwich! A delicious sandwich.
- Add less walnuts, cranberries and celery if you prefer a CREAMY versus CRUNCHY salad sandwich
- Choose Organic Ingredients When Possible
- Boost nutrition in this meal by adding lettuce onto your sandwich or add a side salad!