BBQ Sloppy Joes, California Salad & Grilled Corn Butter Bean Salsa
Hi Friends! Welcome back to Healthy Grocery Girl and Happy 4th of July! If you’re looking for gluten-free, dairy-free & DELICIOUS fun recipes for the 4th of July or any summer party… today’s blog is for you! I’m sharing 3 Healthy Summer recipes all featuring one of my favorite plant-powered protein sources… beans! Beans are high in protein, fiber and beans are better for the environment compared to other proteins.
A big thank you to the California Dry Bean Growers Association for partnering with us on today’s video! I’ll be using dry Large Lima Beans also known as Butter Beans, Yellow Beans Beans and Chickpeas for my recipes today. A few of the benefits of fresh dry beans is that they are very affordable, soaking beans before cooking can increase digestibility and can help remove any particles from nature such as dust or dirt.
My favorite way of soaking beans, because it is just so easy to do, is the overnight soak. Add your dry beans to a mason jar, don’t fill more than ¾ of the way. Then fill the jar to the top with water. Add a lid and place in the fridge overnight. The next day, drain and rinse the beans well, finally simmer the beans on the stove top for about 1 hour, until they reach your desired consistency.
Now let’s get started with our recipes!
- 2 cups cooked yellow beans, drained & rinsed
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 1 cup fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons BBQ sauce
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded cabbage mix
- ½ cup canned coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Add the coconut oil to a large saute pan over medium heat, then add the diced onions, saute for about 10 minutes until the onion turns translucent and starts to brown.
- Next, add all of the remaining ingredients and stir everything together.
- Add on a lid and simmer on low, for 20 minutes.
- Add cabbage, coconut milk and ACV to a small bowl and mix together.
- Finally add the beans to the saute pan, stir together and heat through. Ladle onto a gluten-free bun, top with slaw and enjoy!
- 1 cup cooked butter beans (large white lima beans)
- 1 cup fire roasted corn
- 1 cup sliced and diced grape tomatoes
- ¼ cup diced onion
- ¼ cup diced green pepper
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 serrano pepper, sliced or seeded and diced
- 1 lime, juiced
- Pinch of sea salt
- Add all ingredients into a bowl and mix together, enjoy with chips.
- 1 cup cooked garbanzo beans
- 4 cups chopped leafy lettuce of choice
- 4 sliced radish
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- Add the dressing ingredients into a small bowl and whisk together.
- Add the salad ingredients (minus the avocado) and about ½ of the vinaigrette into a large bowl and toss together. Serve with sliced avocado and garnish with Hemp seeds!
Disclosure: This blog post and video is sponsored by California Dry Bean Growers Association. All opinions are our own. We love beans!