DELICIOUS CHOCOLATE PRUNE CUPCAKES
There are so many reasons to eat healthy whether it’s for physical, mental, emotional health, to be a good role model for your kids or to reduce your risk of developing a diet related disease. I eat healthy because it helps me feel my best so I can give my best to my job, relationships and enjoy life to the fullest. I also love that a healthy diet is a great way to support both short-term and long-term health. What is your why? Why do you eat right?
A healthy diet is not about deprivation. A healthy diet includes eating a varied, balanced diet that includes quality sources of protein, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals. These macronutrients and micronutrients are essential for helping your body thrive and function optimally. The good news is – you don’t have to give up sweets or your favorite treats to eat healthy. If fact, incorporating treats into your routine is a wonderful way to stay on track with your health goals. My favorite motto is “treat, don’t cheat!”
Today I’m sharing how to make a dessert that is so delicious and equally packed with nourishing ingredients. We’re making Chocolate Prune Cupcakes which are sweet, flavorful and even have fiber! Two ingredients that may surprise you in this recipe are prunes and prune juice! Prunes add fiber, natural sweetness and give these cupcakes a soft, moist texture.
Sunsweet Amaz!n Prune Juice can also help you balance and maintain good digestive health to help you feel your best. Sunsweet Amaz!n Prunes are The Feel Good Fruit! They are a delicious, convenient nutrient dense snack. Did you know that prunes even help support bone health? Research suggests that eating 5-6 prunes each day may help to prevent bone loss.
Now let’s get to our recipe!
- ½ cup Sunsweet Amaz!n Prunes (whole pitted or diced)
- ¼ cup Sunsweet Amaz!n Prune Juice
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup sugar (I love using coconut sugar)
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg or 1 flax egg*
- *A flax egg is 3 tablespoons ground flax seeds mixed with 3 tablespoons water to create an egg-like consistency
- ¾ cup gluten-free 1-to-1 baking flour
- 3 teaspoons of raw cacao powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 container of your favorite store-bought or homemade vanilla frosting (I love using an organic, vegan option)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Add all wet ingredients into a high-speed blender and blend on high until liquified
- Add all dry ingredient into a large mixing bowl and stir together
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and thoroughly mix
- Spoon batter into mini cupcake pan with liners
- Bake for 20-25 minutes
- Let cool 10 minutes before frosting or decorating
- Note: To make 12 medium cupcakes, simply double the ingredients and bake for around 30-35 minutes.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Sunsweet