Memorial Day Black Bean Salsa Burger & Dairy-Free Dessert Bars!
Hi Friends! Welcome back to Healthy Grocery Girl! Memorial Day is right around the corner! I love sharing recipes and healthy grocery finds with you that make it easier to eat a plant-powered diet. Below is my go-to Black Bean Burger dressed up with all the fixings and my latest fav ketchup swap, salsa!
S&W Beans are a great plant-based ingredient for making veggie burgers. Beans are packed with protein and fiber, two nutrients that are essential for helping us feel full. Beans also contain nutrients such as magnesium, potassium and calorie-for-calorie have just as much iron as beef!
Salsa has been my favorite condiment lately. LA VICTORIA® Thick’N Chunky Salsa Verde has a medium, bold flavor thanks to tasty jalapeño pepper and fresh tomatoes sourced from the fertile California Central Valley. As the pioneer of jarred salsa in the U.S., LA VICTORIA® offers a delicious line of authentic, flavorful Mexican sauces and salsas that are made with real, simple ingredients and are inspired by a century-old family recipe. LA VICTORIA® is available in the salsa aisle of most major grocers in San Diego, including Vons, Target and Ralph’s.
For a sweet treat that complements your menu – or that can be enjoyed any day, these dairy-free dessert bars from Daiya are SO GOOD! Daiya creates the best craveable comfort foods while remaining completely plant-based and dairy, soy and gluten-free! Their new dairy-free dessert bars are so creamy and rich and are made with premium ingredients including semisweet chocolate, fair trade dark chocolate, real vanilla extract and 100% Arabica coffee. They’re available in four varieties: Chocolate Fudge Crunch, Classic Vanilla Bean, Salted Caramel Swirl and Espresso Coffee! Daiya Dessert Bars can be found in the dairy case and freezer aisle at grocery stores across San Diego, including Whole Foods, Sprouts and Ralphs, as well as most natural food retailers.
Most importantly, thank you to our Armed Forces for serving and protecting our country. That is the true meaning of this holiday and we are so grateful for your sacrifice. Also thank you to the families who sacrifice so much having their loved ones away!
- 1 can (15-ounces) S&W black beans
- 1 cup of oats
- 3 tablespoons of ground flax seeds
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 (4-oz) can of green chiles
- 2 tablespoons of blackstrap molasses
- Coconut oil, sea salt & pepper
- La Victoria Thick’N Chunky Salsa Verde
- Hemp Seeds
- Optional Mustard or any of your favorite condiments!
- Add one tablespoon of coconut oil to a stove top pan over medium heat, add your chopped onion and minced garlic cloves. Sauté for 3-4 minutes until onions start to brown. While the onion & garlic cooks, in a large mixing bowl add 3 tablespoons of ground flax seeds with 1/3 cup of warm water and let sit for 3 minutes. Next add a ½ cup of oats into a high-speed blender or food processor and pulse until you have created oat flour, then add the remaining oats and pulse one or two more times. The goal is to have a variety of oat sizes, a mix of fine flour, some ground oats and some whole oats, this helps with the texture of the burger patties! Next add 80% of the black beans, drained and rinsed to the large mixing bowl with the flax seeds and mash with a potato masher until you have created a paste. If you do not have a potato masher you can use a fork or blender! Then add your ground oats, sautéed onions and garlic, remaining whole black beans and all other ingredients into the mixing bowl with the black bean paste and stir everything together until well mixed. Form the mixture into six burger patties; I use a 1/3 measuring cup to help portion and form the patties. Place patties on a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Roast in a preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10-15 minutes on each side. You can also grill these, but I would recommend roasting them in the oven for 10 minutes first to firm them up before placing them on the grill.
Disclosure: This blog post is sponsored. We only promote brands we love, use and believe the HGG Community would love to learn about!