Protein Packed Pasta
Oh. My. Goodness. I am so excited about today’s blog post! For two reasons… one, we’re talking all about pasta (who doesn’t love pasta?) and two, I have a new grocery find to share with you!
You may not think of Pasta as a health food, however that’s all about to change thanks to Modern Table Bean Pasta Meal Starters! Modern Table creates pasta noodles made from lentils and beans which are naturally packed with protein (14 – 15 grams) and fiber (3-5 grams) per serving! I also love that Modern Table pastas are gluten and dairy free with no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives. They are also really easy to prepare and cook just like regular pasta and can be ready in less than 10 minutes! Modern Table really is a great staple to keep on hand for busy weeknights or even laid back weekends where you want a healthy meal, quick!
If you’re wondering where you can buy this magical bean pasta I speak of, you can find them at Whole Foods Market, Target or purchase online! For more information visit ModernTable.com
I’ve been particularly obsessed with the Bean Pasta Meal Starters and today I’m going to share a simple recipe for my go-to homemade pasta sauce that is perfect to top on these protein packed pastas!
- 1 bag of Modern Table Mixed Lentil Penne Pasta
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 a small sweet onion
- 1 large shallot
- 2 cups of cherry tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes (BPA free lining)
- 1 small bunch of fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning blend
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Turn oven to broil and let it warm up
- Heat one tablespoon of coconut oil over over medium in a saute pan
- Dice 1/2 of a small sweet onion and add to the saute pan, cook for 2 minutes
- Dice one large shallot and add to saute pan, cover with lid and let the onion and shallot cook until translucent and golden
- Spread out washed cherry tomatoes on a sheet pan and place in oven (top rack), let tomatoes broil for about 10 minutes, until blistered and just starting to blacken. Check on them often as every oven is different
- Cook one bag of Mixed Lentil Penne in boiling water for around 8 minutess, until desired tenderness
- Add to the saute pan one can of diced tomatoes (not drained), 1/4 cup of chopped basil leaves, one teaspoon of sea salt, one teaspoon of italian seasoning and 1/2 a teaspoon of black pepper. Once cherry tomatoes are done, add them to the saute pan and stir everything together
- Drain your pasta and portion into bowls, add your tomato sauce and top with basil
Disclosure: This blog post is sponsored by Modern Table. Sponsors support Healthy Grocery Girl so that we can continue to provide free content to you such as blog posts, recipes & cooking videos. We only work with brands that we love, personally enjoy and want you to know about!