Quinoa Butternut Orange Stuffing
Stuffing is a Thanksgiving classic and popular favorite. However, I personally do not love buying the boxed stuffing from the store. Have you noticed that many of the boxed brands are filled with artificial ingredients, sugar, preservatives and much more? This is why I wanted to create a simple and easy homemade stuffing that is packed with nutrients and only contains real food ingredients!
This Quinoa Butternut Orange Stuffing recipe is loaded with plant-based protein, fiber and antioxidants to make you feel incredible while giving you those same cozy flavors! Another reason I love this recipe is that you can make some of the ingredients ahead of time for a quick throw together side!
Benefits of Stuffing Ingredients
One cup of butternut squash provides your body with more than your recommended daily intake of vitamin A. Vitamin A is crucial for eye health and aiding in the prevention of diseases such as macular degeneration. It’s also important for cell growth, immune function and bone health.
Did you know that celery has a high water content? Consuming this veg can help with maintaining hydration throughout the day! It is also a great source of powerful plant antioxidants! These contain anti-inflammatory properties that may reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as arthritis.
Kale is rich in vitamin K. This vitamin plays a critical role in helping with blood clotting through helping proteins bind with calcium. Just one single cup of kale goes beyond your daily vitamin K needs! Kale is also rich in fiber, which is great for your digestion and keeping your body feeling regular.
See below to view or print this recipe! If you make this stuffing, please share a photo on Instagram and tag me @HealthyGroceryGirl so I can easily find and like your creations! It’s so fun to connect with you and see what recipes you’re enjoying.
For more HGG recipe ideas you can also visit the HGG YouTube channel here!
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 3 cups chopped butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons unrefined coconut oil
- ½ cup diced celery
- ¼ cup diced green onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 cups shredded lacinato kale
- 1 cup chopped dates
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed Limoneira orange juice
- 1 tablespoon Limoneira navel orange zest
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil to a baking sheet along with chopped butternut squash. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast for 25-35 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Add celery and green onion and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add in minced garlic, kale and dates and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Remove butternut squash from oven and add into a bowl. Add in orange juice and zest and stir to combine.
- In a large bowl, add in cooked quinoa, cooked wild rice, butternut squash and kale mixture. Toss to combine.
- Top with pecans and sage. Enjoy!
This video was created for the Limoneira YouTube Channel! Megan Roosevelt, RDN is the Spokesperson for Limoneira. To see all our tips & videos makes sure to visit & subscribe to the Limoneira YouTube Channel!