Create an Account
Already have a user account?

Snazzy Salad Toppers

Snazzy Salad Toppers


10 Snazzy Salad Toppers

In one corner, we’ve got the homemade salad. Weighing in at approximately 145 calories & 14.6 grams of fat it’s a base of iceberg lettuce, cucumber & carrot slices with a thick layer of ranch dressing.

In the other corner we’ve got the restaurant salad. It’s big, it’s fattening, it might as well be a burger, it’s the Chicken Caesar Salad weighing in at 710 calories and a whopping 42 grams of fat.

Sure 145 calories from the homemade salad doesn’t seem bad at all. However 95% of those calories is nothing but dressing from 1 oz. of commercial brand ranch, leaving 5% of the calories from the actual salad.

So here is the problem. We try and make a “healthy” salad at home & it is either a boring bowl of lettuce and dressing (which can back fire, like our pal ranch) or we turn to the same lettuce & veggie salad combo every single time we make a salad (boring), or we order a salad at a restaurant… which clearly can be a health impostor.

Lettuce and most non-starchy vegetables, are high in vitamins, minerals, and fiber and low in calories. So making them a great staple in any health lovers diet, is key.

Most salads start our with good intentions. Lettuce. Then we add, and add, and add.. and before we know it, we’re gaining weight while eating salads. Clearly something is not measuring up. What we need is a salad topping makeover! Here are 10 healthy, snazzy and delicious salad topper ideas to keep you moving towards your health goals. Begin with a base of organic spinach, arugula, romaine, kale and / or mixed greens, then add some toppings from the list below!

10 Healthy & Snazzy Salad Toppers 

1. Sliced Apple or Pear

2. Sliced Avocado

3. Dried Cranberries or Currents

4. Sliced Grapes

5. Garlic or Jalapeno stuffed Olives

6. Roasted Beets

7. Pumpkin Seeds

8. Walnuts

9. Garbanzo Beans

10. Artichoke Heart

Salad Dressing Tip: An unhealthy salad dressing can really ruin a healthy salad.

If it’s thick, gloppy & doesn’t “run” when poured…then run from it.

If it’s clear & easily spreads when poured, then pour on my friend.

And always, read your ingredient lists. Make sure your store bought salad dressing DOES NOT contain High Fructose Corn Syrup, or any other artificial and processed ingredient(s).


Happy Healthy Eating!

Your Healthy Grocery Girl


Megan Roosevelt

Megan Roosevelt is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist, Host, Video Producer as well as the founder and CEO of Healthy Grocery Girl®

Meet Our