Sweet Potato Shepherds Pie
Quick & Healthy Dinner Idea
If you’re in the mood for comfort food that doesn’t set you back then you will love this easy Sweet Potato and Lentil Shepherds Pie! Lentils are one of the highest protein beans, packing 17 grams of protein per 1 cup serving! Sweet potato are full of fiber, vitamin C and provide that creamy, comforting experience we love without any guilt. I hope you’ll give this recipe a try! Thanks for stopping by the HGG Blog today! Don’t forget to use #HealthyGroceryGirl on social media if you make + share a pic, your photo could be featured!
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (from a can, the thick creamy part that rises to the top after refrigeration)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 2 (15-ounce) cans of organic lentils, drained and rinses (unsalted and BPA-Free)
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1/4 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Sea salt and pepper to taste!
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit
- Peel, dice and boil sweet potatoes
- Add coconut oil into a stovetop pot on medium to high heat
- Then add in onions and let cook until translucent, stirring occasionally
- Add in celery and carrots and cook for 2 - 3 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Then add in lentils, rosemary, cloves, garlic, sea salt, pepper and vegetable stalk and cook until carrots are soft
- Meanwhile, add boiled or baked sweet potatoes into a blender with coconut milk, sea salt and pepper and blend until thick and creamy
- Add lentil pie mixture to the base of a casserole dish and top with mashed sweet potatoes
- Bake in the oven for 10 - 15 minutes
- Then enjoy!
- I mentioned 1 cup of vegetable stalk in the video however 1/2 cup vegetable stalk actually works much better 🙂
- Choose Organic ingredients when possible!