Toddler Spinach Muffins
If you’re looking for an easy, healthy toddler snacks that is filled with nutrients, today recipe is for you! I’m sharing how to make Toddler Spinach Muffins. Ella LOVES these. Spinach is also rich in IRON an important mineral that we all need!
Why is Iron important? Iron deficiency can result in the body not being able to make hemoglobin, the part of red blood cells that carries oxygen from the lungs to the body. Iron deficiency means tissues and organs won’t get the oxygen they need! Symptoms of iron deficiency include fatigue, weakness, behavioral problems and poor appetite to name a few!
Those who eat a vegan, vegetarian or predominately plant-based diet need to be mindful to consume iron-rich plant-based food sources every day. Iron sources include spinach, beans, tofu, dried beans and peas, dried fruits, leafy dark green vegetables and iron-fortified breakfast cereals, breads, and pastas.
Vitamin C helps to improve Iron absorption. Serve iron-rich foods with vitamin C rich foods such as tomatoes, broccoli, oranges, and strawberries!
To note, because these muffins are mostly spinach, banana and egg, they have a very soft texture. The bigger the muffins the more soft the texture. If you have a mini muffin pan, the mini muffins tend to be firmer. Either way Ella stills loves them, but just an FYI if you think they aren’t done yet because of the texture! 🙂
- 1 & 1/2 cups packed spinach
- 1 banana
- 2 large eggs (can use a vegan egg or flax egg)
- 3 tablespoons rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds (can also add another 1 tablespoon of more ground flaxseeds or chia seeds)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder (optional but yummy!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add all ingredients into blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the batter into a muffin tin (either greased or linked with baking cups). For a regular size muffin tray, I fill halfway so the muffins are smaller and it usually makes 11-12 muffins. For a mini muffin tray you can fill to the top. You can double the recipe to make more or bigger muffins!
- Bake for 20 minutes. Center will still be soft as it's mostly banana, spinach and eggs. But they will be fully cooked!
- Keep stored in the fridge. Enjoy!