Veggie Pot Pie With Cracker Crust
What is your favorite comfort food? It’s not surprising that I love soups and veggie pot pie is total comfort food to me. It’s soup AND pie in one! As my daughter says when she’s playing at her little play-kitchen “pie soup” is on the menu! Kids are so observant she definitely watches + mimics everything I do which is cute and a little scary! Talk about being a good role model!
I feel like I’m always in the kitchen – whether it’s making food for the fam or recipe creation for the blog. One thing remains true, I am always looking for ways to add more vegetables to my meals and snacks, so when I was creating this recipe I knew I wanted it to be loaded with veggies. For protein, I’ve added white beans but you could easily swap for a different bean or even chicken if you prefer. Our recipes are always dairy-free so my creamy go-to is coconut milk to create that pot pie consistency we all love.
The crust is my creative way of using up chips or crackers from the pantry! It turned out really yummy and so much easier than making actual pie crust! A few of my favorite crackers are the Organic Sweet Potato Crackers and the Kale and the Lentil Turmeric Crackers from RW Garcia which are now available to purchase from Amazon! Yay!
If you’re new to RW Garcia they are a family-owned business started by Robert Garcia and his wife Margaret over 35 years ago with the simple idea of making healthy, gluten-free snacks from sustainable ingredients. Fast forward to today – RW Garcia is still family- owned and operated with 3 generations dedicated to making delicious, healthy snacks! All RW Garcia products are non-GMO verified, certified gluten-free, lower in sodium, kosher and free of artificial additives or preservatives. My kind of company – family oriented and making delicious food!
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp minced garlic clove
- ¼ cup cassava or rice flour
- 1-2 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup canned coconut milk
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 1 cup green peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 box RW Garcia 3 Sweet Potato, Kale or Lentil Turmeric Crackers
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Add 2 tablespoons of cooking oil to a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Then add onion, carrot, salt and pepper. Saute until onions are translucent, about 7 minutes.
- Turn off heat and add the rosemary, garlic and cassava flour; stir together,
- Whisk in coconut milk and one cup of broth, if the sauce is too thick, add more broth.
- Add the broccoli, peas and white beans to the sauce.
- Divide the mixture between 3 ramekins.
- Add one full box of RW Garcia crackers to a food processor and pulse until powder.
- Whisk eggs and add the ground crackers, stir together.
- Add the egg & cracker mix to the top of the ramekins.
- Set the ramekins on a baking sheet to catch any overflow and bake until the topping is lightly toasted and the filling is bubbly (about 20-25 minutes).
- Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Have you come up with any creative ways to use pantry staples? I’d love to know!