WATERMELON MOCKTAIL + RECIPE CONTEST
Hi Friends! Welcome back to the blog! It’s summertime! It’s also July which happens to be National Watermelon Month! So of course we are celebrating with a fun recipe. Also fun fact, I once won a watermelon eating contest! You heard that right! I just love watermelon! It’s sweet, hydrating and contains antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. If you love watermelon too make sure you read on for details on how you can participate in the National Watermelon Promotion Board Recipe Contest!
- 4 cups chopped watermelon (this is about 1/2 of a medium/large watermelon)
- 1 kiwi
- 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- Begin by prepping your ingredients; peel the kiwi & ginger, halve and juice the lime and remove the rind from your watermelon then chop the watermelon into a few large pieces.
- Next, add all ingredients into a high speed blender and blend until liquified.
- Pour through a wire mesh strainer to separate the "froth" and create beautiful red watermelon juice!
- Note the froth is totally fine to drink too if you prefer, it will simply have more fiber and have more texture!
- Serve over ice garnished with watermelon wedges and kiwi slices, enjoy!
- Feel free to use more watermelon if you want the drink to have less of a "zip" to it. Ginger, lime and kiwi all have a tanginess which I love, but some people and kids might prefer a less tangy drink!
Use The Whole Watermelon!
Did you know that 100 percent of watermelon is usable and compostable?
RIND: You can use the rind to create less food water! Anyone for pickled watermelon rind? You can find more watermelon rind recipes here!
JUICE: Juicing watermelon is a great way to use overripe watermelon and retain the value and nutrition! I used watermelon in my mocktail recipe! It’s also delicious in smoothies! Get more watermelon juice recipes here!
FLESH: Growing up I loved eating slices of watermelon! However, there are so many fun ways to use watermelon flesh beyond the wedge! Dice watermelon flesh to make salsa, dip watermelon in dark chocolate, watermelon is even delicious grilled!! Discover recipes using watermelon flesh here!
Watermelon Nutrition Highlights!
Watermelon is a great way to hydrate and it is also….
- Cholesterol, fat and sodium free
- Excellent source of vitamins A and C
- Good source of vitamin B6
- Contains the antioxidant lycopene and the amino acid citrulline
- 92% water (hydration)
- 80 calories per 2-cup serving
Did You Know?
- One watermelon can feed up to three dozen people
- Watermelon is #1 on the list of budget friendly fruits (2010 Perishables Group Study) at only 14 cents per serving! Wow!
Watermelon Recipe Contest!
To celebrate July as National Watermelon Month, the National Watermelon Promotion Board is challenging watermelon lovers to use the whole watermelon – flesh, juice AND rind! Submit your watermelon recipe using any part of the watermelon (categories include Flesh, Juice and Rind) to be entered to win up to $500! Multiple entries permitted; please submit a new form for each entry to be eligible to win. (Note: You will receive a confirmation email once your entry is received. If you do not receive an email, your entry has not been officially submitted.)
Enter the Watermelon Contest & Submit your Recipe at watermelon.org/recipecontest or click here!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by the National Watermelon Promotion Board. We love watermelon!!