Create an Account
Already have a user account?

Holiday Office Politics

Healthy Grocery Girl Healthy Grocery Girl Forums Ask Megan Holiday Office Politics

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      tammit
      Participant

So, here are my question(s)….what do you feel is the best way to deal with the constant string of homemade cookies and candies that come directly to your office so, you have to take it or decline?! If I take it to be polite, I’m throwing it in the trash when I get home which I think is terrible but, if I don’t take it, I’m considered rude and a scrooge of which I am neither!
      We also have a holiday luncheon which is catered by a company that, by there own admission because I called them, does not make allowance for Vegetarians/vegans so, it’s fried chicken, ham, mac and cheese, vegetables seasoned with pork, casseroles full of butter and cheese and a spinach salad which would be, OK if they didn’t already load it with dressing. My employer uses the same caterer for every event and I have spoken with a committee member regarding perhaps choosing a caterer for future events with a more varied menu that takes the dietary choices of others into consideration. In the meantime, if I don’t attend, it’s the same thing….I’m a scrooge, rude and anti-social or I attend and don’t eat and have to answer constant ridiculous questions which to be honest are no ones business!
      Does anyone else have this issue in the community? If so, please feel free to chime in!

HELP!!!

Megan RooseveltMegan Roosevelt
      Participant

Hi Tammi! Before I started Healthy Grocery Girl I worked in office settings & so I can definitely relate to what you’re going through! It is definitely frustrating. What always helped me is to remind myself that at the end of the day it’s my body. I am the one who will suffer if I eat something that I know will upset my stomach. I would decline cookies I didn’t care to eat & if the meals served at a party were not foods I wanted to eat I would eat before or try and have a small helping of something there I did want to enjoy. Overtime it gets easier to just stick to doing what is best for you and your body and if other people have a problem with it, honestly it’s there problem! As long as you do not judge or speak negatively of their choices, I think co-workers should be respectful to not judge or speak negatively of your personal choices! Especially since your choice is to eat healthier 😉 There will ALWAYS be food pushers and unhealthy food choices around. Hopefully overtime some of your co-workers will want healthier choices too and you can slowly start to have a few healthier options at parties that you enjoy so everyone can partake. There is no magic answer however all I can speak from is experience… you just have to focus on you & do what’s best for your health regardless of what others say or think. Easier said than done, but overtime it does gets easier 🙂 Anyways I hope this reply was helpful!!! 🙂

moosix
      Participant

If you struggle to do it on your own, you may look for friends to go through it together. Such support is very important. I will tell you a bit about my story. I was changing my eating habits to healthier ones. And it was a real challenge for me. So I went to a forum and created a group for people with the same task. And it worked! Later we discovered that many of us lived in the same area code https://areacodes.net/714 and we even met in real life.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.